Feb 2, 2007

Neemrana Fort-Palace

Neemrana Fort-Palace is Rajasthan's closest palace from New Delhi. I stopped here on my way to Jaipur for a while and I simply fell in love with the grandeur of this majestic palace. The fort has been turned into a hotel and does provide the luxuries that it must, including a swimming pool on the terrace, lavishly done up rooms, open-air -theatre etc.

But what I simply loved about the palace were the wide aangans in the middle of each block, the barsaatis overlooking the fields, and the old-fashioned dahleejs that stood at each entrance. It reminded me of my ancestral house where we lived before moving to Delhi. I particularly enjoyed the jeenaas that led from one part of the fort to another and would have been just perfect to play hide n seek. Also, I loved the rustic feel given by the use of kachhi-mitti at a few places and the laltens that hung around to light up the palace in the night.

I really wanted to spend a day there, perhaps with my family, to relax those stressed nerves of mine that deal with the everyday chaos. But alas! I had to leave, and Neemrana lingered on in my thoughts.







No comments: